Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Home at Last!

Home at last! Over a year ago I left Rwanda with my husband and oldest daughter to travel to Nairobi for 2 weeks to find some answers to my sever abdominal pain. That journey ended up taking us to the States, where the rest of the family joined us and where we have been this last year.


As I sat on one of the four planes that would transport me back to Rwanda, I  begin the process of shifting from my life in America to my Africa life. Sometimes I feel that I live two parallel lives....It is like  all my furloughs run together with some of my childhood in America------- one continues timeline although in reality it is broken up with long periods of life lived thousands of miles away in Africa. Conversely, my time in Africa seems like it has piled up all together without the reality of several stints in America.


Recently, my son Caleb and I went to see the movie “ Inception”----where real life and the dream world sometimes blur, as we left the theater we were both struck how our life living in two worlds ----America and Africa sometimes feels similar.


As a result of this phenomena, the longer I was living in the States the further my Africa life became. I began to get into the rhythm of America life....where business sometime eludes relationships.....where you can get so caught up in your church life that you do not notice the unchurched or d-churched. Where things can become so important..... Though there were several things that I really enjoyed..... movie dates with Dave, fast food ( a little to much) and an ease to living----being able to turn water on and not have to wonder wether it is hot or going to be there. What I really enjoyed most about our time in the States was quality time with family and friends. During the last few months it was especially nice to reconnect with old friends that Dave and I had not seen in a long while.


Sweet memories to savor but now I am shifting gears and will land in Rwanda soon. I am already anticipating the smells of home---open cooking fires mixed with diesel fuel and exotic foliage. My mind races as I think about all the relationships to renew and cups of coffee to drink.


What has God in store for this tour? Fresh starts and new beginnings are a nice by- product to my parallel life!  Africa home here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment